"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, September 1, 2017

Six Degrees of Separation---Wild Swans

Six Degrees of Separation. 
We begin with
 
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang
I haven't read this book but I've heard great things about it and I certainly intend it someday. It is story of three generations in the twentieth century and the effect that Mao had on their lives.

Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng
This is the very first book I ever read about the Cultural Revolution in China and it was an eye-opening reading experience.
First They Killed my Father by Loung Ung
Another memoir that I read in the same time period as the above book. This is set in Cambodia during the reign of the Khmer Rouge which terrorized its citizens for several years, killing thousands, maybe millions, of people.

In the Shadow of the Banyan by Vaddey Ratner
Also set in Cambodia when the Khmer Rouge come into power. This novel is exquisitely written and really emphasizes human resilience. Told from the point of view of a young girl.

Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron
Another novel about a real historical event of epic and horrifying prepositions---the systemic slaughter of the Tsuti people by the Hutu tribe in Rwanda. The main character is hoping to go to the Olympics as a runner and it ends up being his salvation.

Unbroken: A WWII Story of Survival, Resistance, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
Another book about an Olympian and runner, Louis Zamporini, who became a war hero. After he was  adrift in the Pacific for several months he was captured by the Japanese. He resisted his captors and was tortured.  After he returned home he found peace through a personal relationship with Jesus. This is a very inspiring story.

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
Another inspiring story. In the face of the horrible events of WWII with the Nazi's killing Jews. Corrie ten Boom and her sister were imprisoned for sheltering Jews. She was able to survive her ordeal through the strength she gained from her faith.

I had no idea when I started this list that I would end here. China to Germany, via other continents. What a trip.

Join in the fum. Make your own Six degrees of separation list.

Hosted by Books Are My Favourite and Best





5 comments:

  1. Wow you covered some pretty heavy tragic periods in history this month!

    My holiday take se ms rather light & fluffy in comparison!

    http://bronasbooks.blogspot.co.id/2017/09/6degrees-september.html?m=1

    I'm looking forward to a food/love/Mexico theme next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, yes Brona, I agree, these are all heavy books! Like Water for Chocolate does look more cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Someone said that the books I picked are called Misery Lit. That cracks me up!

      Delete
  3. Although I did lots of reading about China, I never touched on Cambodia - when I was growing up I went to school with many Cambodian refugees. Some of their first-hand stories stay with me to this day. Will try to find the strength to read First They Killed My Father - looks like tough going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite sombre choices this time. I have to read more about Cambodia and Rwanda, but need to pace myself for the sake of sanity.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.